Thursday 13 September 2007

Day 32 Upland, CA to Santa Monica, CA via the Hollywood Hills 54.3 miles

Left early again today to miss out the afternoon heat but I needn't of worried, the amazingly large trees from Pasadena to Santa Monica Boulevard kept me in the shade. Sometimes there was so much shade that I couldn't actually see where I was going with sunglasses on, I didn't realize that LA was so green. Took a detour to get the inevitable Hollywood sign photo and ended up climbing through the Hollywood Hills to get a good angle. Hollywood's really nice, not overly showy or tacky as I expected but it must be said, it's the least friendly place I've been in on this trip, it's difficult to get a smile out of anyone here. The complete opposite of Oklahoma on so many different levels.


Massive trees line Route 66 as it passes through East LA.
Check out the scale of the parked car.


Route 66 passes through some of the nicer parts of LA as it heads west towards Santa Monica. Don't get me wrong, the place is still the work of Satan and I wouldn't want to live here but as a tourist passing through, it's actually alright and doesn't feel plastic and phony as expected. Mind you though, I only saw the nice parts. The traffic is bonkers; 8 interstates and God knows how many freeways, highways and overpasses cut through LA, so this made cycling really difficult at times. Everyone drives everywhere and the only people that use the sidewalk are joggers. There were also too many people with small dogs.


Palm trees on 66, Pasadena, CA


Santa Monica boulevard at night. The end of Route 66.


The LA smog at 8.30 in the morning. I don't know how they live with this.


My bike on Santa Monica beach. End of road.
That's all folks!

1 comment:

liannallama said...

oh--congratulations! What a fabulous trip--thanks for sharing it with us! Love your final photo! (yeah--I think Hollywood is pretty tacky and soul-less for the most part--maybe you were there on a good day, LOL!)