Friday 18 January 2008

Postscript - Last of the Route 66 pictures, days 1 to 9. Chicago, IL to Devil's Elbow, MO

Gemini Giant, Wilmington, IL


Finally found the 2 missing reels of 35mm film from the first few days of the trip. I didn't take that many pictures during those early miles as I was too busy panicking.

My first stop after Chicago was Wilmington, IL. Rolled in at 4pm after a 60 mile day, allowed myself plenty of time as I was worried about finding my way out of Chicago. Needn't of worried too much as Sunday traffic was light and the new-build suburbs were virtually deserted.


The nice folks who own Chester Manor



Stayed at a really nice B&B, Chester Manor, Wilmington, IL



Old Gas Station, Dwight, IL



Church, Dwight, IL



Caught in a severe storm. Taken from underneath the canopy of a drive-thru bank, Litchfield, IL



200 miles of Illinois, totally flat and a tailwind most of the way
down to St.Louis. Old 66 running parallel with Interstate 55.



Over the next few days I cycled across pancake flat Illinois, crossing the Mississippi and into St.Louis (which I hated). My first experience of the darker side of America. East St. Louis is a very deprived area; Lots of slum housing, boarded up and burnt out shops. It must have been very beautiful a few decades ago as there's trees and parks everywhere and most of the buildings are made with red brick. Many have ornate decoration and Gothic towers that reminded me of the Natural History Museum in London. I didn't take any pictures as I was too scared to pull over.


Chain of Rocks Bridge, Across the Mississippi and into Missouri.



View of the Mississippi from the Chain of Rocks Bridge. No Paddle steamers looking for Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer's damn whining.



Elk on the road, outside St. Louis, MO



Old, deserted section of 66, St Cloud, MO. A motorway without any cars.



Possibly the most sinister roadside sign I saw on the whole trip. St. Cloud, MO



Sign outside a sleazy looking bar, St. Cloud, MO.



Jesus billboard, somewhere in Missouri. First of the 'Wrath of God' style signage I saw in the bible belt states.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Estabilizador e Nobreak, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://estabilizador-e-nobreak.blogspot.com. A hug.

stumarks said...

"Wrath of God" style of signage? I'm confused. How does "Jesus loved you enough to die for you" turn into "Wrath of God" stuff? Certainly someone's not connecting the dots here.