Wednesday 12 September 2007

Day 31 Barstow, CA to Upland, CA 86.6 miles

A nice relaxing dip in the pool. Only in LA.

Left Barstow at 7am to beat the heat. by 3pm it'll be 110 deg and I need to be over the mountain and into the LA sprawl by then. Cycling in the afternoon in California isn't healthy. It's September and it should be in the 80s by now, that was the plan anyway. Interstate 15 all the way; A little shortcut to get the mileage in.

Pass a lot of California Highway Patrol, nods of recognition and some even smile. No tickets were issued. All was going well until a rookie CHP decides to try it on. He even insisted I climb over a barbed wire fence to get off the Interstate. Luckily a more senior officer rolls up, I explain the situation and where I'm trying to get to. He seemed a little angry with the rookie for pulling me over and lets me carry on. The rules about cycling on the Interstate shoulder seem a little hazy. Pass 3 more cops, more nods and smiles. One of them even gives me the Lance Armstrong 'V for victory'. Must have been the US Postal team jersey.


Historic Route 66 road stencil marking.
It mimics the old Californian speed limit numbers that were painted on the road.


Old 4 lane section of Route 66, Cajon Summit, CA
You can just make out the LA smog.

Come down the side of mountain and into the valley, take a little detour off the Interstate to ride an old 4 lane section of Route 66. The smog in the Valley is unbelievable; a thick yellow-brown haze. I'd heard about it but I didn't realize it was this bad. It effects the light, everything has a silvery sheen.


Shed World, Victor Valley, CA

2 comments:

Simon Foster said...

Well Tim
I've been following your progress and am completely astonded and mightily impressed with what you've achieved- an amazing journey! sorry I haven't been offering ongoing support-that was a bit shite of me- got sucked into the land of ebay addiction and am only just finding my way out!
I guess you'll be in LA now taking a well earned rest!
just wondering what your plans are now? -on to santa monica then san fran?
well done look forward to seeing you on your return
Simon

liannallama said...

wow! I can't believe you did this so fast!!!! Good thing you weren't here for Labor Day weekend; it was 113 when we drove to San Bernardino--I can't imagine what needles or Barstow was like!

Kristy wrote you're going straight home tomorrow!? Wow--too bad you won't have time to relax and enjoy LA!